First and second grade classes made paper mache masks, finishing them shortly before I left my last school. We started with a gallon milk jug, cut in half. Students could use newspaper to create different 3d aspects to the mask faces. Then, we started adding layers of paper mache, from newspaper to paper towel and finishing with tissue paper.
Most of the students used the tissue paper to add color fairly randomly. I think next time I would suggest using the color a bit differently, though I am still.happy with how these turned out.
This student added layers of crepe paper to her mask. I really like the texture in this one.