Monday, April 25, 2011

Steal like an art teacher

I didn't just use Phyl's project for 4th graders, I stole most of her Matisse lessons for the month.

Second graders created Fish-Ish, inspired by both Ish and Matisse. Ish was already one of my favorite books, and one I read to classes at the beginning of the year. I liked the emphasis on it for this lesson, though. Students had a pretty hard time painting the background. I think I will make it simpler if I do this lesson again. However, by the time we added the fish bowl, table and leaves, the project came together fairly well.



I also used Phyl's lesson for "Wild Beasts." Like hers, we talked about how Matisse was a fauve, which means wild beast. We used bright colors and patterns, in the style of Matisse, to paint our animals.



2 comments:

  1. I'm honored! But it's only stealing if you don't have permission, and of course you DO. I'm glad to see that some of my ideas get a new life outside of my art room, and I think your results are terrific. I like art that looks kid-made (template-free)and your students' work looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolness! I sent you (and Phyl) the Versaitle blogger award. Check out my site for details http://outsidethelinesartstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...